Our Secret Star

 

Since the outset, Saruni – David Saruni – a Maasai, has been the secret star behind a lot of these posts providing fascinating information about the security operations, animal sightings, and rescues he and his team have been involved with. It is difficult to imagine anyone more qualified for his job as Security Administrator with one foot firmly in high tech and the other in conservation.

“I have worked in Loisaba for two years in the security department as Security admin and IT technician. I was a teacher before coming to Loisaba. I taught in different schools while I was still at university; I taught in primary and secondary schools as a maths and science teacher and in college as an IT and statistics teacher.

The security team with rescued orphaned elephant

“I really enjoy working in Loisaba security because it involves a wide range of routine and non-routine duties. With my other colleagues in the security department, I plan the deployment of the rangers on a daily basis. I act on Control Room reports, on rangers’ welfare requirements, daily security reports, monitoring of wildlife, e.g lions or sick wildlife, and I make sure that all the technologies like SMART, Earthranger, the internet, and the radio call network are all working well. The biggest challenge I face is balancing my role as a security ranger, IT professional, and conservationist but it’s also why I love my job.”

A salute as the elephant goes off to the sanctuary

“It gives me particular pleasure when we have successful security operations and are able to help the community when there are any security problems - I am involved with day and night patrols, dog trails, and charcoal and sandalwood operations too. I am proud of the work that we do which involves and contributes to conservation technology – merging my training with my passion. My top priority is the security of life and property.”

“Incredibly there have been no instances of poaching since 2017, something I put down to having a united, disciplined, and committed team with excellent leadership and clear support from management.”

Members of the security team with the bloodhounds.

 “The standard of security has improved immeasurably over the last decade or so and the biggest changes have involved a number of factors:
  • Qualified leadership, experienced, and passionate about conservation
  • Increase in the number of armed rangers
  • Increase in the number of security vehicles
  • Improvement of security welfare
  • Well trained dogs and handlers
  • Having a positive impact the livelihood of local communities, making them part of Loisaba.”

“Whilst my own favourite animals are lion and buffalo, I am really looking forward to the arrival of the rhino, and we are making sure that the security team is ready for whatever that entails.”

Comments

Popular Posts