Shikamoo Bwana!


We asked James to interview Simon Lelaki, often known as Lucky for short, about his long connection with Loisaba. As a Samburu elder, and an experienced guide and security man, he is respected by everyone at the Conservancy.

“I started as a laundry boy thirty-three years ago and then moved to the kitchen as a waiter for the old owner of the Oryx Lodge. After two years there was an opportunity to train as a security ranger and I decided to challenge myself by applying for it. I was lucky to be picked as one of the ten men put forward for training, which included how to use a rifle. At the end of the training I emerged as second- best and was chosen to do guided safari walks with the guests around the conservancy. In 2016 I transferred from Loisaba Conservancy to Elewana Collection but my role remains the same; I had always dreamt of being a ranger and my dream came true.”


“Every walk that I do is different and I am fascinated by the behaviour of the animals from the largest right down to the smallest, crawling creatures. I know the map of Loisaba Conservancy like the palm of my hand and know where to take guests according to their interests. Walking is always fun for me and I never need to hit the gym for exercise. Even when I am not working, I take my colleagues out for walks or we go fishing which they enjoy.” 

“This job has earned me a living for all those years and enabled me to raise and educated all of my seven children. I have always believed that education is the key to a better future.”

“One of my sons also works for Elewana Collection at Loisaba Tented Camp but is better known as the musical artist Ammuh Dilla Tiffa. He has travelled all around the country and in Uganda where he collaborated with another musician. He receives a lot of love from his fans and is often invited to perform at parties and weddings where he never disappoints.”

Dancehal Bodi 

Selele Mama

Ntorotiyia

 “My own home is Oldonyiro, about twenty kilometres from Loisaba where my wife and other children live. There I keep cattle along with some goats, sheep and camels. While I am at work my wife looks after these animals along with other Samburu friends who live in the same manyatta.”

A walk with Lelaki reveals all creatures great and small...





Livestock (and little brother!) at home:




Comments

Popular Posts